Majestic Child of Krakatoa

Ibuprofen and prescribed pain killer from my doctor were my best friends during this trip!

Day 2

Woke up at around 3:30 AM with a really bad pain on my left leg that stopped me from going back to sleep so I crept outside to the porch and did some stretching to help my sciatica pain. Was the first one up.

At around 4 AM, the guy from our rented boat came and asked if the coordinator is up. We supposed to leave at 4:30 AM to catch the sunrise and headed to Krakatoa.

Granted, everyone were running late with the young girls took forever to get ready.

I joke that even me with a bad leg can get myself ready in no time! Who cares about your make-up! Sunscreen is all you need, ladies.

We boarded the boat well after 5 AM. This time, we all sat on the top deck. Above where the captain of the boat is.

The waves were so much bigger this time so big that my wild imaginations worried about one of us got thrown overboard! Salt water splashed over our faces as our boat sailed and bounce to Krakatoa. We did got to see some sunrise. It felt surreal, to be able to witness such a gorgeous sunset and catches a glimpse of the sunrise the next day.

Seeing the two Krakatoa from the distance gave me goose bumps, and as they got closer and closer to us, I got upset at my own body for betraying me. I really wish I could join everyone else going up there!

My leg was still in so much pain, the sciatica stretches did helped a bit but not a whole lot. Diana told me I better not hike up Krakatoa with them. It would be too hard for my leg. She acted like my mother hen during the whole trip hah! Gotta love her!

Our boat came to a stop. We had reached the child of Krakatoa.  I never see a black sandy beach before. Diana told me that’s how it will look like if there’s a volcanic mountain. Who knew?!

We took pictures before the group started their hike. I really wish I could go too but the thoughts of how the hike would aggravate my leg even more stopped me cold so I sat down and took some pictures.

There were two other guys who didn’t go up Krakatoa and we were met by the rangers. They told us about how it was on early September 2012, where the child of Krakatoa had some eruptions. They said after the eruption, most of the animals from the island seems to disappeared like the birds, the lizards.

It took the group a little over an hour to finished their hike. They all looked dirty with grayish dust covering their shoes and shorts. Diana told me I wouldn’t make it up there as the hike was difficult with hot sands. But they all looked so happy!

I was disappointed of course but it gives me more reasons to return one day!

After they had their breakfasts – packed by the compound – we piled up the boat again. This time we headed to the old Krakatoa. We can’t hike up there. It’s for snorkeling!

Our boat stopped right next to the old Krakatoa in an area called Cabe Lagoon.

My heart sink!

Seeing the clear blue water, you can see fish…plenty of them swimming around and attacking the food people throw down.!

But again my damned leg stop me – insert pouty face here!

I was forced to stay on the deck as everyone else happily snorkel away and enjoying the underwater beauty.

After about two hours and I was pretty much fried from sitting under the bright sun, we finally went back to the island we were staying at. We had lunch and it was time to pack. In my heart, I silently prayed that I will make it through the journey home with a leg that had really gotten worse.

The sea was calm on our way back to Kalianda. Again, we sat on the top deck. I soaked everything in, thinking it will be quite awhile before I got to see such beauty. Diana and I agreed that trip like this not only we got to enjoyed nature’s beauty but we got to meet and made new friends. We became friends with these people we just met on our trip.

On our way to the Bakaheuni port, we stopped by the roadside shops and everyone was shopping for traditional snacks to take home.

Luckily, this time we got ourselves a much better ferry ship! Everyone quickly made their way into the VIP rooms. Big couches and Air Cons? We all gladly paid extra money!


By the time we got off the ferry, my left leg was in so much pain, it gave out on me. I twisted my ankle and fell down like a log. Everyone were quick to helped me up and asked if I’m OK  Tried to put my big girl’s panty on, I laughed and said I’m fine while fighting not to cry from the shooting pain.

We arrived in Jakarta well after 1:30 AM. The group bid farewell to each other with promised to keep in touch and to share the pictures later. I didn’t get home until almost 3 AM.

Despite my leg, despite the fact that it stopped me from hiking up the son of Krakatoa…I had a blast. It was a trip worth every pain! Can’t thank everyone enough for all the fun, all the laughter we shared on this trip. It was a memorable trip that none of us will ever forget.

Now everyone is talking about where we will go to next! Thank you for the fun unforgettable trip, guys!



  1. October 15, 2012 / 5:36 pm

    Whoa I love the new spirit shown by the change of your blog name and your twitter id …and the trip sounded so much fun..tried to figure out which one is you from the pics above hehe…failed 🙁

  2. October 15, 2012 / 8:28 pm

    Such a beautiful place. I’m sorry you didn’t get to do all the activities, but glad you were wise enough to look after yourself and listen to your body. Yes, good reason to go back some day!

  3. October 16, 2012 / 2:14 am

    It’s great to run into the arms of nature once in a while and enjoy all that beautiful scenery! Glad that you still enjoyed yourself even though you couldn’t join in some of the activities! Hope you get well soon!

  4. October 16, 2012 / 10:07 am

    What an amazing trip! I do hope your leg will heal up soon. Take it easy!

  5. October 19, 2012 / 3:33 am

    To bad you couldn’t make the trip the way up. Standing on top of a mountain is something special…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.