“How bout we make a rule not to talk about work on Sunday?”
His words rang so much truth that it hits me like a lightning bolt.
Despite his understanding of my work and my long working hours lately, I realized how much he missed me and how much I missed him equally (if not more – which by the way, according to him is not possible!).
Work has become my whole life or is it the other way around? My life has become all about my work.
But yesterday was different…
I put down the phone…
I didn’t even bother checking in the work inbox on the computer…they can wait until Monday I told myself.
I told my son I need some times alone…
He – my partner, my lover, my best friend – and I ended up having Sunday to ourselves, albeit through Skype. We talk, we joke, we laugh, we talk from the hearts, we even watched a movie together.
We make time…
And I didn’t talk about work.
It may sounds so simple but then again there’s joy in the simplest things isn’t it?
It’s ok to take a break, mom.
Being a single mom who is juggling so much, I deserves to have a break too. A break from being a dedicated employee, a break from being a mother, and a chance to be me…myself.
He reminded me daily to make time to go deep within myself and finding that peace so no matter how busy my day gets I will not loose my bearings. I am grateful for that. So every morning before work starts, I will take a few minutes of silence…call it meditation, call it praying…but it’s becoming my saving grace from all the chaos surrounding me.
How to make time for yourself:
- Unplug. Turn off the phone or silent it if you can’t bear to turn it off. Turn the TV off too.
- Tell your children you need some alone time be it 1 hour or even a mere 30 minutes of uninterrupted time. Lock yourself in the bed room or the toilet if you must.
- Meditate or pray or just simply be. Find whatever works for you. Be it writing or working out. Make it all about you to rest, to rejuvenate, to refresh the body, mind and soul.
- Sleep early. I know this is sometimes the hardest thing to do I still struggle with this too but I try to be in bed as early as I could every night.
- Make time for your girlfriends. Yes, you girls are all busy but those precious 2 hours dinner or lunch can give you so much joy that lasts until your next meet ups. So call your friend and catch up! To be able to relax, to laugh out loud at the silly jokes, to share your worries…friendship is important and it can do your soul wonder.
And maybe that’s why one of the sales girls said “You are always smiling, Mbak…”
Why shouldn’t I be smiling?
My life may not be ideal at the moment but I am grateful and from a thankful heart, joy will arise.
Let us find our joy by making time for us.
How do you make time for yourself? Do you have a favorite way to enjoy your alone time?