Welcome to the first Wellness Wednesday link up, friends!
In case you miss it, Rina from CuteCoconut and I are teaming up for a new exciting link up party called Wellness Wednesday and today is our party.
What first started as your typical weight loss plan has taken me on quite a journey throughout these past few years. I have my ups and downs.
I successfully lose the weights, looked the fittest I have ever been then was stricken down with herniated discs. If you are not familiar with herniated discs, let me just tell you that the pain is so excruciating there are days that even sneezing make me feel like my body is being ripped in two.
So why didn’t I stop already?
Well, I did stop…I took long rest from working out and I gained my weights back. Here I am in the freshness of 2015 committing myself to get back to fully live healthier again.
What motivates me the most to start living a healthier lifestyle?
- My son.
I want to be around for a long time to see him grow up to be a fine healthy young man. Living by example is what I choose although sometimes I failed to show him a good example. At the age of 7 years old he starts reading ingredients labels whenever we go to grocery shopping and recognize Monosodium glutamate. That is MSG by the way. It is important for me to teach him about what is healthy and what is not. We discussed about processed foods, sugar and other health issues. He is also my biggest supporter on this journey. He told me once “Mommy, I like it when you work out.” Isn’t that wonderful to hear? He knows that I am a much happier mother when I do my work out. We sometimes even work out using my many DVDs together. His current favorite workout? Les Mills Combat!
- Breaking the diabetes “curse”.
Throughout these years I had learned that the myth that diabetes runs in the family is a not true! Yes, your predisposition genes might cause you to be more sensitive to sugar BUT it doesn’t mean you will automatically inherit this disease! Almost as long as I can remember, this myth has been passed around. The famous theory that if your father has diabetes then it will get inherit by the daughter is no longer valid. What being passed down is the eating pattern. We learn from our parents and their parents’ parents what is normal. If your mother is an emotional eater, chances are you will follow her path because it seems normal and all those snacks she eats? Yes, they will become diabetes one day down the line if you are not careful. Both my parents have diabetes now. My father lost a toe and a large chunk of skin on his left foot because of gangrene caused by yours truly, diabetes. Seeing closely how diabetes affected their lives, I am more determined than ever to make sure I don’t get it too. How? By living a healthier lifestyle of course! Learning more about diabetes made me realized I am far more sensitive to sugar and fructose than other people.
- I want to live a great life!
Not just floating through life and make excuse for aches and pains as parts of getting old. When you are healthy, you can live your life to the fullest. You can travel and enjoying the beauty that this life has to offer. My back pain made me realize how precious our health is and how sometimes we easily take it for granted until it was taken from us. Knowing that I own the power to nurture myself from the inside out is powerful. Living healthy for me is no longer about losing weights. It is so much deeper now with far greater understanding of my own body. My journey taught me to become more in tuned with myself, it taught me my limitations and to honor that and find what works for me. I may not be a hardcore crossfit girl due to my back but being still in hot yoga grounded me. I realized I am not competing with anyone but me.
Now it’s your turn!
How to join us?
- Pick one prompt that we will post every Wednesday, blog about it and link up with us. Be creative. Vlogs are more than welcomed! The first linky will go live on 7th January 2015, find the prompts below.
- Grab the Wellness Wednesday button on your post, and on your side bar to support us in spreading the words.
- Share and mingle. Visit at least three links and leave a meaningful comment in each one of them. Rina and I will try to visit every link and share our support to everyone.
- Comeback every Wednesday to join us!
- Use the hashtag #gowellnessday.
Join our mailing list and we will email you the weekly prompts as a reminder.
WELLNESS WEDNESDAY PROMPTS FOR 7th January 2015:
- What motivates you the most to start living a healthier lifestyle?
- Who inspires you?
- What kind of lifestyle changes will you commit yourself into?
- Your favorite sport during high school and why you loved it so much.
- Three healthy food that you have discovered recently and become your favorite now.
WELLNESS WEDNESDAY PROMPTS FOR 14th January 2015:
- Do you meditate? What do you think of meditation?
- Inner peace, describe them
- Share your healthy living goals
- What’s your favorite workout song(s)?
- What’s inside your gym bag?
Grab our button too!