In my nearly two months of working out at the gym regularly, I’ve seen all sorts of people going in and out of the place. They inspired these list below.
These are the type of people that you might encounter at the gym in Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Red Neck Buff-Up Guys These are the all buffed up guys who come to the gym religiously. They work hard, grunting a lot while they lift those big heavy weights. But when you look down…don’t be alarmed to see them wearing those ugly things that should be banned from all adults life…CROCS! I kid you not, dude and dudettes! The first time I saw these guys I can’t believe my eyes and for a few nano-second I thought I was being transported back to the deep south of Alabama!
- The Fashionistas These are the ladies who came to the gym with their super big ala celebrity sunglasses. Don’t get me wrong, I wear them too to hide my dark circles but not while I’m sweating my ass off on the treadmill! Some come in with their tornado proof huge fake lashes. Were there any paparazzi behind the butterfly machine?
- The Gym Snobs I seriously thinks these kinds secretly wanted to be gym instructors so bad that they can’t stop spewing out unwanted advice to the newbies. These people come every day to the gym, they work out or seems like they do. Although I do appreciate the unwanted guidance, I would rather stick with my trainer thank you very much. Plus, one look at these people and how they don’t even have any definitions on their bodies? Makes me wonder what on earth do they do at the gym anyway?
- The Treadmill Hoggers Oh my! These people annoyed me to no end. Like seriously? At my gym there’s someone that everybody call the Treadmill Queen. This lady proudly – and loudly – announced to the whole world that she just burned 1,000 calories after she hog the treadmill. The gym I go to is a small one, not the fancy swanky expensive ones with treadmills lining up by the hundreds. There’s only two treadmills available, two stationary bikes, and one very not famous elliptical machine. My trainer joke that if those treadmills can talk, they would be crying from her ‘abuse’.
- The Wolf Pack These are the ladies who swarms on my gym’s third floor where the treadmills and stationary bikes are. They meet every morning to chats and gossips oh and of course occasionally break some sweat. They asks questions a whole lot too and that’s when I thank God for my headset! I try to stay away from these ladies and only be there when I have to do my cardio. They tend to ask way too much personal questions so I’d gladly avoid them altogether.
- The Weight Haters Some of these ladies belong to the wolf pack. They frowned, they criticized me for lifting weights. Even one of the trainer – aerobic/belly dance trainer – said I shouldn’t do that. Oh how I can’t wait to show these ladies how my body will transforms. No use in trying to explain to them that muscles burns calories even hours after you had stop working out. To them being skinny is well skinny no matter how high your body fat counts really is. They fear I will get too bulky. I’m so glad my session starts very early at 6 am so I don’t have to put up with these ladies for too long. They’re usually not even there and I only met them during my cardio part which is around the end of my session. Blast up the music from my iPhone and I block these weight haters out. Huh!
So have you seen some truly unique people at your gym? What’s the most interesting ones you’ve encountered? Share away.
PS: I’ve decided to start another blog – I know what the heck am I thinking, right? – to write down what I’m doing at the gym over at Tatter Scoops Journey To Be Fit. Maybe one day I’ll merge it to this blog.